Friday, February 8, 2013

Recycle and upcycle silver serving pieces

by Debra Anchors

Like me, I am guessing you see many pieces of discarded faux silver or stainless steel trays and bowls stacked in antique malls and yard sales. Jeanne, over at Pink Picket Cottage, found a whimsical use for the silver pieces she found and then sold the finished product on Etsy.

In the piece shown here, it appears there are four trays and bowls used to create this flower. Before you drill through the serving pieces, be certain to use a drill bit meant for use on metal.

Jeanne also put a piece of chipped china to good use by breaking it further and then artfully arranging it in the form of a mosaic at the center; a clever way to cover the hole (created by using a metal drill bit) as well as the nuts, bolts and washers holding everything together.

To "bring the bling", a woman's  rhinestone brooch was added to the center of the flower to catch the sun. A piece of rebar, cut to the desired height, finishes this project and serves as the flower's stem.

If it were me making one of these, I would reinforce the position of the silver pieces with glue. The very best adhesive I have found, and the only one I use in my outdoor projects, is an industrial strength, flexible adhesive.

Note:  For convenience, I have embedded links into the text that will take you to the products used in this project.

Recycle, upcycle and do it yourself?  Absolutely!  Have you upcycled something unique for your garden from recycled materials? Please share it with me so I can feature your creation here.

If you enjoy this website, you might like my magazine, Gardening Life. AND, don’t miss my more traditional gardening website, Gardens Inspired.

I hope you found inspiration today. Remember to subscribe, so you won't miss a thing!

Until next time -
Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment