Thursday, February 14, 2013

Recycle and upcycle cinder blocks to create a garden bench

by Debra Anchors


Photo (and instructions): Kayla's Basement
Look at what I discovered over at Kayla’s Basement.  Ingenious, Kayla.

Using 12 cinder blocks, paired with 4 (4 inch x 4 inch x 10 foot) pieces of lumber and some concrete adhesive, you too can build this outdoor bench - in less than an hour!







Note:  For convenience, I have embedded links into the text that will take you to the products used in this project.

Recycle, upcycle and do it yourself? Absolutely! Have you upcycled something unique for your garden from recycled materials? Please share it with me so I can feature your creation here.

If you enjoy this website, you might like my magazine, Gardening Life. AND, don’t miss my more traditional gardening website, Gardens Inspired.

I hope you found inspiration today. Remember to subscribe, so you won't miss a thing!

Until next time -
Debra

20 comments:

  1. Love this idea and will definitely build myself one. I am glad someone turned me on to this site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea! Thanks for sharing!

    May all your gardens grow,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool idea...thanks for posting this

    ReplyDelete
  4. How to you make the back of the bench?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There doesn't seem to be a back to the bench....except for pillows. :)

      Delete
    2. Hello Melissa. The reader who commented above is correct. This bench was photographed against a cement wall. Thank you for stopping in! -Debra

      Delete
  5. Love it! Are those fence post lumber?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will it work on a concrete sidewalk floor without the concrete adhesive?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I love this idea. I had something similar in mind when I went up to Lowe's looking at cinder blocks. I have a hughe yard, front and back and sometimes I am so tired I just want to park somewhere for a minute. What is the concrete adhesive for? Is this to cement the blocks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Yes; the concrete adhesive will secure the cinder blocks and will also steady the wood and keep it from shifting under the cushion. Thank you for stopping in! -Debra

      Delete
  8. Hi :D #WOW So creative lovely and very useful. Sincerely, Kula May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kula May! Do you think you will add one to your garden?

      Delete
  9. Making this, this weekend! Love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Please let us know how it went!

      Delete
  10. Groovy clever. And sturdy. Luv it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. where did you find the bench cushion?? I love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bench cushions can be found almost anywhere outdoor furniture is sold, but depending upon the size of bench you end up with, why not re-purpose something like a bunk-size mattress?

      Delete
  12. Great idea. Glad u told about concrete adhesive. I use cinder blocks alot. I plant cucumbers and other plants in them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea. Glad u told about concrete adhesive. I use cinder blocks alot. I plant cucumbers and other plants in them.

    ReplyDelete